Tuesday 27 March 2018

It's hard work being good

About 4 years ago I joined Slimming World.  I wasn't massively overweight, but I needed to lose a bit of weight to feel comfortable in my clothes - I refused to start buying a larger size!  At SW they tell you to initially aim to lose 10% of your body weight and I was given a target of 13lb to lose.  I did it and kept it off until about 6 months ago.  Gradually, it has been sneaking back on.  After both weddings last year I guess I got back into bad habits and I've now put back nine of those little pounds.  

In my defence, we've had a lot of celebrations with the two weddings and with both of us having our 'big' birthdays, a couple of long weekends away, Christmas - all great excuses for cake, rich food and the odd glass or two of wine.  Well, maybe more than just the odd glass!  

It has to stop.  I need to get back on track.  Slimming world is so easy to do and it really is just common sense and changing the way in which you cook.  My main problem is the snacking.  I find it hard to sit and watch things like Bake Off with just a cup of coffee without a biscuit to keep it company.


But when I set my mind to something, I do try my utmost to do it - despite friends trying to sabotage my efforts.  We've been invited to friends for a takeaway Indian meal at the end of the week, obviously it's Good Friday (Hot cross buns), Easter Sunday (chocolate eggs) and then a belated birthday meal out at a local Italian restaurant next Thursday.  Boy have I got to be strong willed! 

Anyone else feeling like they need to spring clean their diet before we have to bare a bit more flesh in summer clothes?  {Please tell me it isn't just me ...}

5 comments:

Cheri said...

It is so definitely NOT just you! The past few years - increased pressure at work, lots of work travel, going through menopause - has not been kind to me and I'm trying to desperately to shed some of the fat I packed on during that time. Joined Weight Watchers and hating every minute of it, but still determined!

Patio Postcards said...

Oh yes I really need to take myself in hand, now! This winter has been hard & it was so easy just to say, I'll go for a walk tomorrow, which as we all know tomorrow never comes.

I cheer you on with success with Slimming World (which I don't think we have this side of the pond). Yes common sense in cooking is where to start & I need to develop the "no thanks" phrase in a much stronger voice.

Ruth said...

I think we can all be guilty of overindulging, particularly during the Winter months, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Maggie said...

I decided early in February that I must tackle my weight. I have lost a stone so far but hope to continue. I have never fancied slimming world or anything like that. It's too public for me. I am using an app called nutracheck. I have never used an app like this before but am finding it very useful. It's great for calculating energy values and counting them up. It also has a bar code reader which identifies a lot of foods. I can also track any physical activities.
Good luck with your weight loss. Spring is a good time to think about it.

Barbara Eads said...

I swear, losing weight has got to be the toughest thing! Certainly it's so gratifying when you do, but so discouraging when the weight creeps back. I guess it means we have to be diligent ALL the time. I'm not even where I want to be yet, so I've got a long way to go! You'll get it back in hand in not time. In fact, I think you had just begun your "slimming world" journey when I started reading your blog. I enjoyed your weekly updates and will look forward to them again! PS I had to look up what "stone" meant in terms of weight!