Friday 9 March 2018

Counting down the days

I've found myself in an odd kind of mood this week - I don't know what it is, the final remnants of this stupid cold virus that is being stubbornly slow to go completely or could it possibly the thought that this is my last week of being in my 50s 😱. Or maybe just a combination of a lot of things - the cold weather isn't helping and I am finding myself longing for spring to really start.  

It's lucky I finished my 'tipsy tumbler' quilt 


As I've been spending my evenings curled up beneath it!  Oh for lighter evenings and warmer temperatures. 

A friend of mine's husband has just been told that he has a serious cardiac issue and she sent me a message which included these words, which I cannot get out of my mind.

"The future isn't going to be the one I thought we would be having ..." 

and I think that has really resonated with me.  That I must stop procrastinating and hibernating until the sun reappears.  So with that in mind I plan to finally write that resignation letter and get a firm date to leave work - forever.  At my advanced age you may be surprised to hear that I've never resigned before - my first job I went on maternity leave and never went back, then I had a very long time at home being a stay at home mum, then my next job I was made redundant and now this job where I have been for almost 17 years.  I shall need to google suitable wording!

I have something rather special to look forward to on Sunday.  My daughter has arranged, as a combined Mother's Day and birthday present, for us to go to a spa for a couple of days.  So thoughtful of her and it will be lovely to spend some time with her - just the two of us.  She will have her Mother's Day with Leo right up until about 3pm, then we will drive up to the spa hotel and stay overnight.  But I only have a couple of days now to get swimsuit ready - it's unlikely that I will be able to do much about that in such a short space of time!  Thank goodness for those thick fluffy dressing gowns they provide for you.  They will hide a multitude of sins.   I'm hoping a nice break away in calm, relaxing surroundings will be the mood boost I am looking for.  A little bit of pampering will be the best prescription for the Winter blues.  


6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Very powerful words that your friend shared. It's so true, many of us don't get the future we dreamed about. I can only imagine how nervous, yet excited you must be to hand in that perfectly worded announcement of your retirement. Turning the page to read the next chapter, very exciting. Your quilt turned out really lovely. I hope you enjoy your Mum/Daughter spa weekend.

Catherine said...

I love your tumbler quilt, a great finish. A phrase that came to mind when I heard what your friend said to you is “seize the day!” You never know what is round the corner so make the most of what you have now. The spa stay is such a generous gift from your daughter. Lucky you.

Maggie said...

What a lovely quilt and just right for snuggling under when you are not your best. Sorry to hear about your friend's husband that must me hard to face. Good luck with your resignation letter. When I resigned I wrote the letter and handed it in at the beginning of the shift before I could change my mind. Enjoy your spa!

Alison said...

Just randomly popping in! I thought you had already decided on that retirement date...good luck with the letter and enjoy your time with Rachel xx

Ruth said...

As I type this, I'm picturing you in your fluffy dressing gown, having had a morning of pampering :)
We never know what's around the corner, so I think it's important to make the best use of our time now. Your quilt is lovely beautiful! Have you stopped scrapbooking completely?

Leslie Roberts Clingan said...

Hope you are having just the very best time at the spa. I think some time away, being pampered and having time to relax, will help get you back in the frame of mind to take action toward winding up things for your retirement.

I have found myself floundering around again. Was out of town much of this week and will be out of town the weekend and part of next week but then I need to get back in the right mindset to get things done.