Monday 15 May 2017

Memos, mail and me

My posts for Sian's Memos, mail and me theme seem to sometimes mimic those 'What am I?' puzzles in  magazines.  Here's this week's offering:

There is a lot of silvered glass appearing in our house.  (and someone in the house is muttering about 'where is this all going after the wedding?') This week - tea light holders.  To go either side of 10 small silvered glass mason jars which will have flowers in to form a row of prettiness along the top table at the wedding.  They don't look too attractive from this perspective but when they are out of the box they catch the light beautifully.  I think I have now officially ordered all the 'bits' that we need for the reception, now to start pulling it all together!  

I did actually order something totally non wedding related this week too and it's not often that my husband takes much interest in what I buy 7 year old relatives for their birthdays but as a keen nature lover, he thoroughly approved of this present.



It's such a good idea whilst helping children learn in a fun way and increase the butterfly population.  You send away for a cup of caterpillars and watch them go from caterpillars to chrysalises to butterflies in a little pot, then you move them into the pop up 'garden' to mature and when they are ready you release them into the garden. Now it's met with adult approval, I hope that my great niece finds it as interesting as we all think she will!


Hoping everyone had a good weekend - don't they go by quickly?  My Sunday started with being woken up by someone sticking her thumb in my eye.  Followed by drumming their fingers on my nose and finally pulling my hair.  This was a first for me to report back on for the Monday project.  

Leo came to stay overnight - without his mum and dad.  

I think we were all a little apprehensive!  His parents had been invited out for a birthday celebration night in London, their first 'proper' nightclub evening in the city since he was born, and originally I was going to babysit at their house.  But it was going to be a late night and I didn't fancy driving back from theirs in the early hours so at the last minute we changed our plans and he came to us.  We don't have a cot so we pushed a bed up against the wall so he couldn't fall out that side and then I slept beside him.  I'm not going to lie, it wasn't the most relaxing, refreshing night's sleep I've ever had, I kept waking and being aware of him being there and a couple of times he cried in his sleep as he changed position but he didn't actually properly wake up until 5.10.  Which sounds really early but apparently, he's never slept through from 8pm to then before so we all marked it down as a success! 

Now, I believe that Sian is super busy learning exciting photography related things on a course and won't be hosting us today but let's all put our alarms on early to check her blog out first thing on Tuesday.  Or, if you don't like waking to an alarm clock, can I suggest borrowing someone's 8 month old child for the night? 


5 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

What a brilliant gift idea - I think your 7yr old will really enjoy this gift & who knows what this will spark in interest or hobby. It is amazing how much stuff you need for weddings & then afterwards try finding a place for the stuff (col). Happy week ahead

Cheri said...

Now that you know little Leo can successfully spend the night, might be time to invest in a portable crib! Because you know this was only the first of many...

Ruth said...

Sleeping with a baby is absolutely not restful! I can't think why some parents do it out of choice! And a travel cot could be on the wedding list ...
And talking of weddings, I can't wait for you to share photos of the actual event, so that we can see all these things that have made it to your house in their 'proper' place!

Sian said...

lol! I remember the time Little E came to stay here overnight on his own. I don't think his proud uncle and aunt slept a wink.

And I also remember the debate over where all the cake stands were going to go after my sister's wedding. She had blue and cream ones on every table and I still have a couple. I should pull them out for photo props! Silvered glass is so pretty..

Have a good week Deb!

Alison said...

Lots going on in your life Deb!....looking forward to seeing how everything comes together at the wedding xx