Monday 20 March 2017

Memos, mail and me

The postman was kept very busy this week ...

It was my birthday on Tuesday

My last year of being in my 50s.  That sounds very scary.  I thought that it was very unfair of the school to make me go into work on my birthday but apparently you aren't allowed the day off so I had to turn up as normal.  I've decided that I'm definitely going to stop working when I'm 60 and it seems very strange to now be beginning a year of 'lasts' in the office.  Last time I'll have to co ordinate the Easter revision sessions, last time I'll have to organise Awards Evening, last time I'll have to pay over the odds to go on holiday because I can't go away outside of the school holidays ... I'm not convinced that my line manager believes me that I'm going but she can't say that I haven't given her enough warning!
 
It wasn't only small envelopes that got delivered here this week though.  Some flat pack furniture arrived.
 
Phase One of Operation 'Update the Conservatory' begins ...


We had our conservatory built about 15 years ago and it's looking a little 'tired'.  So we are about to have the windows and roof replaced in a more modern style.  I shall have to take some before and after photos.  It should be quite a bit more energy efficient and will, I think, just have a more modern feel to it.  We currently have traditional wicker furniture and a chunky pine coffee table.  In order to get it looking a bit more contemporary we've replaced the one big table with three smaller ones.  My next mission is to find a new sofa and chairs.  Fabric swatches have already been ordered - watch this space!

Wedding(s) update

I met my son's future Mother in Law for lunch on Friday and she showed me the dresses she's bought for their registry office ceremony and the big marquee wedding celebration the following week, so now I have an idea of what she's wearing, I feel like it will be easier to find something for me to wear.  I didn't want to be too over the top or too understated in comparison to her.  The things us 'Mothers of the ...' have to think about!

My daughter and I are meeting with the lady who is doing her flowers later this afternoon, it's going to be fun choosing bouquets and buttonholes!

Joining in with Sian's idea to share our mail on Mondays. 

9 comments:

helena said...

love those tables - how exciting to be on the 12 month count down to retiring. Have a great week and enjoy the flower discussions

Patio Postcards said...

A very happy but belated birthday wish. Enjoy your year - it could be a scrap book theme! Oh a wedding in the works & now a renovation! Nice tables. Happy week ahead.

Sian said...

Happy Birthday!

And thank you so much for the card which has just come through the letterbox as I clicked through to read you today. A nice coincidence.

Wishing you a great, happy week of plans

Ruth said...

Happy belated birthday! Those tables are lovely. Good luck with the conservatory update (we're about to refresh our living room). And so much wedding talk and activity ... lovely!

Susanne said...

Happy belated birthday. It may be tough to think of all the "lasts" happening this year, but how fun to think of all the possible "firsts" next year. A decorating update and a wedding to look forward to, those are exciting times.

Sandra said...

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays and may the coming year be awesome. Simon is taking early retirement this year and I love the sound of 'lasts' at the moment and I keep planning all the 'firsts' now xxx

By the way ... loving the new furniture xx

alexa said...

Belated happy birthday and wishing you a lovely time of planning for the near and more distant future. Getting together with the other Mum sounds like a good idea ... Such a lot to look forward to.

Cheri said...

Belated Happy Birthday - hope it was great! Sounds like a lot of planning happening!

Alison said...

Belated Birthday wishes Deb! I don't envy you the shopping for outfits....I hate clothes shopping...am hoping to dip my toe back into blogging...you may see me making a memo next Monday �� Xx