Wednesday 13 March 2013

Today ...

... is 13-3-13.  Now even for someone who is totally a non-mathsy kind of person such as myself, that seems an interesting date.  Of course in America it's even better- 3.13.13

... I learnt that the best way to get the stone out of the middle of an avocado is not to cut it in half, hold the half with the stone in in your left hand while you try and stab the stone with a sharp knife in your right hand.  The blade will deflect off the shiny stone, the avocado will slide out of your hand and you will end up stabbing yourself in the palm of the hand.  Messy.

... we have had bright sunshine, drizzly rain, snow, wind and sleet.  The sky has been pure blue, covered in fluffy white clouds, grey and greeny-grey-there's going to be a storm'.   The English weather can never be called boring, no wonder we talk about it so much.

... our local Waitrose supermarket has a scheme where every time you pay, you pick up a token and post it through a collection box for their chosen charities for the month.  The amount of money given to each charity is determined by the number of tokens donated to each one.  So there is a man and his young daughter in front of me.  The boxes for the charities this month are either for the local animal rescue centre or the local Women's Institute.  'Who do you want to get your money?' dad asks daughter.  'What are the choices?' she asks.  'Well, either the home that lost or unwanted bunny rabbits, kittens or little puppies go to be looked after until someone comes along to adopt them,  or um, old ladies to have a cup of tea.'  The old ladies never stood a chance did they?

... is my day off work.  Allegedly.  I'm up to date on washing, ironing, dusting and hoovering.  That's not a true day off is it?

... I've eaten healthily with a lunch of blood stained avocado, low fat mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and salad and then gone off the rails totally with a huge generous medium sized slice of my mother's day lemon curd and mascarpone cake warmed in the microwave.  I think I needed something sweet to get over the shock of the avocado incident.  Which may explain the Aero dessert I've just eaten too.  Time to step away from the fridge I think!

 


10 comments:

Rhona said...

I did enjoy this post Deb - not the bit about stabbing your hand mind you! Laughed at the Waitrose incident and can totally relate to the cake ;) Looking forward to meeting you next week x

Beverly said...

Ouch!!! Hope there wasn't too much blood! Look at it this way, it would have been much, much worse if you had eaten an unhealthy lunch and followed it with the sweets ;)

alexa said...

This has made me smile and wince in equal measure! Hoping the avocado incident is behind you and that the cake was scrummy. I tell DH that housework gives me an appetite so it's better on a 'day off' to sit around and do nothing :).

Sian said...

Happy Birthday Deb! Hope I've got it right..

..and thanks for the smile on this wet Thursday morning

Alison said...

I could have told you about that method of releasing an avocado ...definately an OUCH moment.....and the cake sounds like just the thing to 'make it better'!...hope you're having a good day
Alison xx

Alison said...

I could have told you about that method of releasing an avocado ...definately an OUCH moment.....and the cake sounds like just the thing to 'make it better'!...hope you're having a good day
Alison xx

Abi said...

Deb I love your writing. You always make me giggle! I hope your hand is feeling better? I am not understanding the english weather at the moment. Today is sunny so I am enjoying that whilst it lasts!

Denise said...

You do always write so well and thanks for making me smile too! Hope you are having a nice birthday today xx

Scrappi Sandi said...

Fabulous post...you've made me laugh out loud, wince & nod in agreement!! That cake sound amazing & how could you possibly resist?!!! I have a magnet on my fridge door that actually says (in a very corny american accent) "Step away from the fridge"...doesn't stop me though, when I'm on a mission!! ;D

Anonymous said...

Hope your hand is ok - how is the ipad going?