Friday 7 December 2012

JYC - Sensory Overload

For me that should read Underload, not Overload.  For there is one sense that I am missing.  I have no sense of smell.  When I read people's posts about all the things that make people think of Christmas, it's the smell of things that I can't join in with.  I can waffle on about the sight of the lights on the trees, I can discuss my enjoyment of the tasty festive foods, I can talk about the touch of the tinsel and I can reminisce about the sounds of Christmas music.  But when it comes to smells, I have to rely on my memory!  I only lost my sense of smell in about 1998  and it came back after an operation 10 years ago but went again a couple of years ago.  So today I will just list the smells that I miss at this time of year

  • The pine smell of the Christmas tree
  • All the festive spices in things like Christmas cake,mulled wine and mince pies
  • The smell of turkey cooking on Christmas day
  • Sampling perfumes for Christmas presents
  • The smell of a new shower gel, when you open a gift and unscrew the cap and inhale
  • Burning logs on my sister's open fire when we visit
  • The warm waxy smell of candles
What smells would you miss the most if you lost your sense of smell?

9 comments:

Cheri said...

I have a very heightened sense of smell. The other night I was eating mint chip ice cream. Jay broke open a couple of clementine oranges and the smell was so strong it made the ice cream taste funny!

I would definitely miss my sense of smell, although there are quite a few scents I could happily do without!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I'm allergic to a bunch of scents so I'd have an easier time saying what I wouldn't miss.

But I'd miss the smell of cookies baking and peppermint

Lorraine said...

Scented candles! I love them. Your post makes me feel like saying, sorry for your loss.
I bet it makes you use your other senses more?

Lorraine said...

by the way, I love your instagram feed.

Denise said...

There are some smells I certainly wouldn't miss - but I would miss the waft of toast in the mornings and freesias in the spring x x

Rhona said...

I love the smell of Christmas candles so I guess that would be one thing I'd miss. x

helena said...

I am very sensitive to artificial smells like air freshner and candles but I would miss the kitchen smells, especially the spices and dried fruit at christmas

Sian said...

Christmas tree, top of the list without a doubt. Closely followed by coffee I think.

Jennifer Grace said...

My husband has no sense of smell either. I'd miss the smell of nice things cooking, I love that anticipation building before you get to eat it. It must be worse at this time of year, but at least you can still look forward to the tastes! x