Saturday 17 December 2011

Mixed emotions

This part of December always feels bittersweet to me.  There's the general hustle and bustle of being busy and preparing for the big day in a week's time.  School broke up yesterday which is always a nice feeling, no more office work for me until January 5 2012.  Doesn't that sound good!  Last day of term is always relaxed, the kids are off timetable and there's carol concerts and final assemblies.  The Sixth Form always lay on entertainment for the rest of the school and it always seems to involve them impersonating the teachers and sketches based on whatever reality show is popular at the time.  The younger girls love it although they always come out of the hall somewhat overexcited and really noisy! Now I need to crack on with all those jobs I was putting off for when I had a week to myself.  And the list of things 'to do' is somewhat longer than I would like!
Christmas was always magical when I was growing up, my parents went totally out of their way to ensure it was a wonderful time even when we were grown up.  My mum would be baking for weeks in advance, everyone's favourite foods would be prepared and the kitchen cupboards would be groaning with the amount of food she had cooked.  So many happy memories, and so many family traditions that both me and my sister try to keep going even though we now have grown up children of our own (and in her case, grandchildren!).   Christmas really was my mum's time of year.  Which makes it all the sadder that she lost her fight with cancer just one week before Christmas in 1997.  So in memory of my dear Mum, I'm just going to share a Christmas Candle with you this weekend.  

9 comments:

Jo.C said...

Such a beautiful post - I appreciate the sentiment as 20 years to my Dad on the 21st. Hugs x

Alison said...

Thinking about you Deb, and sending {{hugs}}
Alison xx

Amy said...

Yes, I understand your feelings :-)

scrappyjacky said...

Also sending you hugs,Deb.

Denise said...

A lovely post Deb x x x x

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

:o( I understand these feeling all too well, Debs. I'll light a candle in honor of your mom today too. Much love to you, dear friend! xo

Sian said...

It's just lovely that you can post something like this - blogs can be used for all sorts of things can't they? Thinking about you right now x

Maria Ontiveros said...

Deb,
What a touching post. Definitely miss my parents more this time of year. I think we're going to do a bit of grave decorating this year for them at the cemetery.
Rinda

Ann Freeman (mafswife) said...

Shedding a tear or two hear Deb as tomorrow marks the first anniversary of my dad passing. Please tell me it gets easier xxx