Thursday 8 December 2011

Cards

It's that time of year.  Time to get the address book out, queue at the post office for overseas mail to be weighed and the writing of cards.  It used to be my job.  Just mine.  Then I realised that at least half the people on the list were actually from the husband's side of the family and roped him into helping.  He started with good intentions.  Each card had a little individual message written inside and the handwriting was beautiful.  'I don't know why you say this takes forever' he said.  By the end of his pile of cards, it was a different story.  There was no 'To  ....' above the printed sentiment and the from part just said 'Paul, Deb & Family'.  No message.  I gave him a knowing look.  I know that some people include a family newsletter in their cards; I find this interesting, but for some reason the husband thinks it is wrong to boast about everything you've been doing in the year.  So there is no annual catch up from this household.  I don't make many cards.  I'm not really a card maker, but at the class on Saturday Denise taught us how to make a lovely folded envelope
(Camouflaged among the branches of the Christmas Tree)
and how to stamp a design on a rather pretty shaped and embossed card
Hands up all those people who noticed that I was somewhat heavy handed with the stamping of the shapes around the edge.  Not so much 'O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree' more like an Enchanted Forest.  Denise's looked fantastic, that girl is a dab hand with a blending tool and an ink pad.  I thoroughly enjoyed the class but still think that I'm not really cut out for intricate card making.  Must remember:  Less is more ....

6 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Being a 'more is more' sort of girl....I love your card.
The P.O. beckons me as well....a sort of 'hell on earth' at this time of the year....made even worse when they tell you how much each card is going to cost to post!!

Sian said...

I love your card too.

Sometimes we divide the job up - one of us writes the cards and one of us does the envelopes. I love getting a catch up letter in a card and honestly don't see it as boasting - it's just good news from friends

Beverly said...

I think the card is gorgeous! I am on day 3 of the post office, at least the one I am going to has pleasant AND efficient employees, unlike my old one.

boysmum2 said...

We are doing cards this weekend, not as many as in previous years but still making the effort.

Alison said...

Your card is gorgeous Deb...most of mine are posted now I'm glad to say!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

Yes it is that time of year for the post office queue. I love how you have photographed your card and what a beautiful job you made of it.