Sunday 24 July 2011

Another one for the hunt!

Ok, I'm definitely in for Rinda's Scavenger Hunt as now I've looked at the list properly I reckon that there are quite a few that I can cover.  A quick Sunday morning walk around the lake led me to my next photo opportunity.  My country's flag.
There is an expression over here 'getting your knickers in a twist'.  And some people may get that way by me posting a picture of a the flag of St George rather than the more traditional Union Jack.  In fact some people will get their knickers in a twist by me calling it the Union Jack rather than the Union Flag.  Us Brits can get quite pedantic about matters of our heritage ;-)  The Union Jack/Flag is the combined flags of the United Kingdom and represents Great Britain.  Getting it flying the right way up is a big deal and shame on the person who flies it upside down as to fly it the other way up is a sign of distress.  So to be on the safe side, I have chosen the flag of St George because although to all intents and purposes I am a British citizen I was born and bred in England and that is the English flag.  The building in front of it is the Barnabas Centre which has been around since the 1830s so I'm guessing that if there is a right or wrong way to fly the George Cross, they will have it flying correctly! 
I'd never noticed the flag before so I guess that another benefit of joining in this hunt is opening my eyes to things I would normally not notice or maybe just take for granted.  That Rinda has some great ideas doesn't she?!

8 comments:

Alison said...

Glad to see you have gone for the English flag...I am waiting for my UK visit in August to (hopefully) get the Scottish one!
Alison xx

Denise said...

Looking good so far, amazing what you find when you are not actually looking isn't it ? x

Anonymous said...

Us Brits are such a funny bunch. We run a pirate themed holiday club at our church once and got into trouble for flying the Jolly Roger from the school flagpole!

Sian said...

I'm definitely noticing new things round here too. I was at the airport today and it would have made a wonderful glass building, but I had no camera. I'll have to try and remember it when I go back at 5.00am next week!

Robyn said...

We say "get your panties in a bunch"...I think I'll try out "knickers in a twist" though. It's sort of cool for Americans to do English thing. ;)

alexa said...

Glad you're finding the things you need :). Your hunt is coming along nicely ... Yes, it's funny how we don't notice things till we have a mindset to look out for them. Makes me wonder about all the things I miss in a day!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hey, Deb! :o) Yes, it would appear that you are official "in" for the scavenger hunt. LOL I know what you mean about opening your eyes to things around you. This little game has made me really think about the things around me and how I might be able to work around some of the items on the list. There are a few on the list that I know I won't be able to get, but for the most part I'm having fun tracking the others down.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the flag! That's the one that our Goddaughters fly when England is playing in the World Cup and Euro Championship.
Rinda