Friday 3 September 2010

First day of class and how I met my husband


Yesterday was the first day of the May Flaum class that I am taking over at Big Picture Scrapbooking. Anyone else on that one? I decided to follow a layout she had shown using 2 6x4 landscape pictures and came across a couple I wanted to use of my husband and his friend. Said friend is the husband of Denise . Denise and I used to both work for a holiday company back in the late 70s and we became close friends. That travel company has a lot to answer for as it was through them that I met my husband.
I used to work in the private letting department, arranging holidays for people who owned villas abroad and I worked quite closely with a lady called Janet in the Customer Relations department. Janet was always saying how she thought I should meet her cousin and would regularly ask me if I was 'between boyfriends'. After a while, I figured the only way to stop her asking was to let her know when I was single and she threatened to introduce me to this man she felt would be perfect for me. One day my phone rang, I picked it up and it was an internal call from Janet. Or at least it was for a few seconds, then she transferred an external call to me, which was her cousin. Embarrassment all round. Anyhow, we both agreed that to put Janet out of her misery we would meet up for a drink one evening. Neither of us had seen photos of each other, it was a true blind date! It could have gone horribly wrong but as it would happen, Janet was a good judge of character and we have now been married for almost 30 years.
Coincidentally, Denise used to talk to me about this handsome football player she liked and it turned out he was friends with Janet's cousin (who was, by then, my boyfriend) easy enough to let him know she was interested! The top photo in my layout was taken one New Year's Eve when the four of us (by now young married couples!) went to Langtry Manor Hotel in Bournemouth. An amazing hotel with a royal history, a really memorable NYE. The bottom photo was taken a few weeks ago, you may notice a change in hairstyles ;-)

10 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Only a very slight changes,Deb!!

Jennifer Grace said...

What a great story, how wonderful to have such a great matchmaking friend, and then for you to pay it forward by matchmaking for another friend! Great layout, I love the two photos together! xx

Liberty :) said...

what a great page!!

Denise said...

Got me all emotional :-))What a good job us girls haven't changed much :-))xx

Sian said...

What a lovely story! 30 years, eh? Nice one! And a cool layout - it's a brilliant design, isn't it? I love the two photos on top of each other because it fills up quite a bit of the page

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love pages like this! Makes me want to do a first day of school - now and then - layout.
Rinda

May said...

LOVE the page + the story behind it. Thanks for sharing - and I'm glad you enjoyed it!! :)

humel said...

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing it with us :-) And I love your layout, too xx

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story Debs. We will miss you tomorrow and in answer to your question they are Double Lemon and Double Chocolate!

Amy said...

It's funny how others can see who is right for us! 30 years - FANTASTIC!