Wednesday 26 May 2010

Volunteering and miserable sons

I was going to entitle this 'Sophie goes to Swaziland' but as I've recently introduced you to baby Sophie you might have been a little confused and concerned! The Sophie that is going to Swaziland is my son's girlfriend, who is going out to do volunteer work organised through Tenteleni this summer. It's an amazing opportunity and as she is studying Sociology and Anthropology at uni, will be an eye-opening experience.
However, this now means that I will have a miserable son for 8 weeks. TWO WHOLE MONTHS! They've been together now for over 2 years and never spent more than 4 days apart so this will be a toughie for them. Soph of course will be busy and learning new things and I am sure the time will pass quickly for her however my son is another matter entirely ! He's booked himself a month in Europe with a vague itinerary which starts in Croatia and ends in Munich (I think!) no accommodation booked and no real plan as to the route he will take. His flights to and from the UK are booked and he is buying his interrail ticket for unlimited rail travel in Europe this week. He is so different to me. I like plans. I like details. I like to know where I will be, what it will look like and how I will get there.
Guess that is the difference between 20 year old guys and 52 year old mums.

5 comments:

Sian said...

I don't envy you! Ah, young love..makes me almost as nostalgic as hearing that interrail tickets still exist does.

humel said...

Oh, dear - sounds like that'll be tough for you when he's home and tough for you when he's away! Good luck... xx

Scrappi Sandi said...

I'm with you on the planning front...I never was one to just take off & fly by the seat of my rather ample pants!!

Hope he's not too lovesick & manages to enjoy himself!!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Oh to be young! I'm sure they'll both have great summers.
Rinda

Amy said...

Oh he'll survive - what with a European sojourn and all! ;-)