Saturday 15 May 2010

Centenary milestones

The school that I work at is 100 years old this year. What changes those buildings have seen over the years! So today is a celebration day there and I am about to leave to participate in some of the activities they are laying on. Actually, my contribution will probably amount to buying a plate of 'hog roast' and watching others doing energetic things. Come to think of it, eating, drinking and watching is how I spent much of my own school years too; the more things change, the more they stay the same eh?!
This week they have had a different decade each day for school lunches, anybody for Spam fritters? How about semolina pudding? The teachers have been dressing according to the decade too and I am a little concerned about how many still had clothes from the 60s and 70s. The drama dept were magnificent in their neon disco clothes but it's a bit disconcerting to see the head of History in his white John Travolta suit.
They are organising things like old fashioned lessons through the decades, which has caused it's own problems in the science labs as health and safety was not a priority in the 20s and 30s! But I think the most fun thing will be the old fashioned sports day. Egg and spoon races, three legged sprints and sack racing to name a few. Last I heard they were trying to organise a 'tug of war' team ... at 5' 1" and quite a light weight, I'm not sure I will be top choice for anyone's team for that event!

6 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Ah Deb.....but you'd be perfect for the wheelbarrow race!!

humel said...

Photos, photos! I can picture so much from your lovely descriptions but I do hope you're getting lots of photos too :-)

Enjoy the celebrations - or should I say, I hope you enjoyed them? I'm a bit late visiting blogs today! xx

Jennifer Grace said...

I bet it was wierd to see the history guy in the white John Travolta suit, it's strange to see people in unfamiliar clothes anyway, let alone when they're that outrageous! Hope you had fun!

Amy said...

Sounds like a great week Deb!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Sounds like a fun week - but when did the 80's become thirty years ago???
Rinda

Sian said...

It sounds like a fabulous week! Bravo to the man in the Travolta suit. I hope the hog roast was good and the rest of the celebrations just as entertaining.