Tuesday 22 December 2009

My proper recipe

So, it's the evening of Christmas day. You have stuffed yourself with turkey and all the trimmings, spent the afternoon nibbling on the contents of a festive tin of Quality Street. Family games have been played, a quick walk round the block has been taken and then someone says 'Does anyone want anything for tea?' 'Oh no, I couldn't eat another thing' you reply. Although it would be rude to turn down that nice thin sandwich of home roasted ham, and those kettle crisps add a nice bit of crunch, oh, that cheeseboard looks lovely, I'll just have a few crackers with that lovely brie. You get the picture? So you're full. You couldn't eat another thing. The waistband of your trousers has been unbuttoned for comfort and you swear you won't eat again until New Year.
And then someone brings out the Baileys Cheesecake. With fresh raspberry coulis. Well, maybe I could force down a small slice .....

Ingredients
100g/3½oz butter
250g/8¾oz digestive biscuits, crushed
600g/1lb 5oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 mini shot of Bailey's
100ml/3½oz icing sugar
300ml/10½oz double cream, whipped
100g/3½oz grated chocolate
To garnish
cocoa powder, to dust
Raspberries, sieved to a smooth sauce with a spoonful of icing sugar to sweeten

Method
1. Melt the butter in a pan and add the crushed digestive biscuits. Mix well until the biscuits have absorbed all the butter.
2. Remove from the heat and press into the bottom of a lined 18cm/7in springform tin. Place in the refrigerator and allow to set for one hour.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Lightly whip the cream cheese then beat in the Bailey's and icing sugar. Fold in the whipped cream and grated chocolate. Chocolate will melt on your fingers, so I tend to hold it with a little foil wrapped around the end. When smooth, spoon evenly onto the biscuit base.
4. Refrigerate and allow to set. Once set, remove and decorate with sieved cocoa powder dusted over the top. Serve with the raspberry coulis

Now you're full!

6 comments:

Denise said...

Yum Yum Yum, works well with Black Cherry pie filling on top too - am off to a certain supermarket to get the ingredients in my lunch hour now xx

humel said...

Oh my, yum.... Sounds gorgeous, I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing x

Sian said...

The Accountant loves cheesecake so he'll be delighted if I give this a go.Thanks Deb! Have a wonderful Christmas x

scrappyjacky said...

This sounds delicious...may have to try it....maybe for New Year.

Amy said...

You have to imagine me with my fingers in my ears saying ...'lalalalalala' I will not look at this - no way - oh, ok - maybe just a little peek!
Yum - I'll add it to the arsenal, this would be very popular!

Rachel Brett said...

Oh wow, that sounds delicious Deb. I will have to try that one!