Friday 6 November 2009

Excuse the mess

Sometimes it scares me a little when a prompt from Shimelle seems so utterly appropriate to what is going on in my little life. Take today's class. Photos from around your home. How did she know that we are smack bang in the middle of decorating the lounge? Spooky.
Normally decorating is done as a team effort, me doing all the cutting, pasting, pointing out bits he's missed, making lunch and numerous cups of tea etc and my husband doing the difficult bits. Like the wallpapering, the ceilings, gloss work and all the bits I deem myself too short or not good enough to do. However, this time he has taken two days off work to do it and therefore, I have been excused participation. Today I have come home to this


which is what a 3/4 finished lounge looks like. Just the ceiling left to do and the glazed doors that open out into the dining room. Certainly nothing a 5' 1" person should be left in charge of ;-)
So while I am closing that door and forgetting about it for a while, let me show you a small part of the dining room that I love.


We decorated this room about 3 weeks ago. And I do mean WE! I painted 3 walls and he wallpapered the 'feature wall'. This little light comes from Laura Ashley and is so pretty. You can't see it that well but it has dozens of little glass beads hanging down and when you switch the bulb on it reflects and looks so beautiful. The shell was a gift from my penfriend who came to visit in May. We've been writing to each other for 40 years now and have met 3 times. She came over and stayed with us before her and her husband left on a Mediterranean cruise and when she got back to the USA she sent us some gifts. One of which was this shell which comes from the area of Sanibel Island, Florida where she has a holiday home. It's absolutely beautiful and I love it!
Normally when I post something showing a layout I have done, I merely put it on the carpet to photograph it, I think I may try using this corner to display things in future.
Now then Shimelle, no more classes telling us to photograph our homes until all decorating is finished - agreed?


9 comments:

Lizzie said...

It all looks very exciting, Deb! Love the Laura Ashley dining room corner too. By the way, you can see the pretty light better by clicking on the photo to view a larger version.

Very spooky how Shimelle knows so much about us... and she claims she is short-sighted. Hmm...

Anonymous said...

Well done on managing the prompt. Like the idea of your little display area.

melissa said...

what a gorgeous room, can't wait to see when it is all done. I hope we find a house with a room like this!

Debbie H said...

Lounge looks lovely. Having decorated 3 kids bedrooms over half term you have my sympathy!!

Lauren said...

LOVE that room! The windows... so much light, yum!

Kathy M said...

Looks like you are making progress decorating. Lucky you that you get your husband to help. That kind of stuff is usually left to me.

Denise said...

Lookin good, love the Laura Ashley corner :-)

Anonymous said...

Your room is looking lovely. It sounds like you share the decorating much the same as we do. I also cut, paste and point out the bits he's missed. Also I supervise LOL
Personally, I think that's the difficult bit...

Rachel Brett said...

It looks lovely, can't wait to see it when it's finished.